NameCaptain John LIBBY , 8G Uncle, L100, 833, M
Birth1669, Scarborough, Cumberland County, ME, USA163,76
Deathbef 3 Dec 174876 Age: 79
Occupationmillwright, house carpenter, wheelwright, gentleman76
FatherJohn LIBBY , 828, M (1636->1720)
MotherAgnes UNKNOWN MAIDEN NAME , 829, F (->1717)
Spouses
1Eleanor KIRKE , 8G Aunt, K620, 7318, F
FatherHenry KIRKE , 7313, M (1638-)
MotherRuth GLANFIELD , 7314, F
Marriage29 Dec 169276
ChildrenElizabeth , 7357, F
 Bethia , 7358, F
 Agnes , 7359, F
 James , 7360, M (1699-1776)
 Mary , 7361, F
 John , 7362, M (-~1767)
 Eleanor , 7363, F (1704-1799)
 Jonathan , 7364, M (1706-1759)
 Lydia , 7365, F
 Josiah , 7366, M (1715-1751)
Notes for Captain John LIBBY
Page 108040
+/- 68 in June 1737, +/- 74 in June 1743; deposition he was near 21 when Scarborough was abandoned. Dubbed usually millwright, rarely house carpenter, wheelwright, gentleman. As Lt. Libby he was hero of the Breakfast Hill attack in 1696, and in Dummer’s War was Captain of a Portsmouth company. In 1738 he and his wife deposition that from 1704 to 1729 they lived on a farm hired of Major William Vaughan on the road to Newington. But in 1697 he was licensed to keep tavern and retail liquors at the creek, and about 1717, in partnership with his Uncle Matthew, Roger Hunnewell and Roger Deering, Esq., he went to Scarborough and built the first mill on Noneuch River. Later he was half owner and presumed builder of the grist mill on Libby River, and in 1729 was part owner in the double sawmill farther up the river. In 1746 he deeded to his three eldest sons the original Libby homestead the occupied by Samuel Brown. He is not mentioned alive after that year, but died before 3 December 1748. All are certainly his children except possibly Lydia.76
Page 402 KIRKE, “2 Henry”; Page 432 LIBBY, “6 John”; Page 433 LIBBY, “7 Captain John”76
Last Modified 26 Apr 2003Created 4 Jan 2015 using Reunion for Macintosh
All Rights Reserved