Page 965
40San Diego.--Among the sturdy sons of Maine who were early pioneers to the coast of California, we find the subject of this sketch, who was born at Gorham, Cumberland County, Maine, December 20, 1835. His ancestors were residents of Maine for generations, and an early grandfather called "Post" Wescott, was a messenger under General Washington during the Revolutionary war, carrying messages to and from the State department. The father of the subject of this sketch was a farmer who was born and died in the town of Gorham, and his mother is still living, at the age of eighty-three years. There were six children, all sons, of whom Edmund was the second. He learned the trade of bridge and wharf building in the city of Boston.
In January, 1855, he started for California by the steamer "Northern Light," over the Nicaragua route, and after a passage of about thirty days he arrived in San Francisco, February, 1855. He then followed mining for eleven years, mainly in California, but also in Nevada and British Columbia. He owned his mines, which were placer, quartz and hydraulic, and made and lost large amounts of money, as leads happened to prove rich or poor. In 1866 he gave up mining and returned to San Francisco, and there followed his trade, building wharfs and bridges. In 1869 he came to San Diego and built the Jorris wharf, and also repaired the Horton wharf; then work in that line failing he entered into the trucking business, under the firm name of Hobbs & Wescott, and has continued in that business ever since. He has changed partners several times, but has always been in the lead in the truck business. His company consolidated with Simpson Brothers May 15, 1889, and formed the Pioneer Truck Company, with a capital stock of $75,000, Mr. Wescott being president. The Julian and Stonewall stage line which runs from Lakeside is under their management.
Mr. Wescott was married at San Diego, December 25, 1869, to Miss Susie Gillam, a native of Arkansas. They had five children living, one son and four daughters, and all reside at the corner of G and Twelfth streets. Mr. Wescott is a Royal Arch Mason, and a member of Centennial Encampment, No. 58, I. O. O. F., also a member of the Society of San Diego Pioneers.
An Illustrated History of Southern California: Embracing the Counties of San Diego, San Bernardino, Los Angeles and Orange, and the Peninsula of Lower California, from the Earliest Period of Occupancy to the Present Time.... - Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1890. pp 204-205 Transcribed by Jennifer J. Regan